Monday, February 23, 2009

What's So Special About Teaching Elementary Students, Anyway??

I recently had a conversation with my sister, a public relations major who now works in a law firm doing corporate planning. She warned me about the real world and how monotonous days start to get when you do the same thing over in over. After hearing this statement, I quickly responded happily and excitedly. Although the “real world” may be coming at me fast, my days would not be the same like with her job and many others. With kids, everyday is a brand new day. There are new things to learn and new ways to grow. There are different moods and attitudes each day and even different opportunity for lives to be touched. This is what I am really going to love about my job. I will not, in a since, have to ever enter “the real world.” I am given the opportunity to stay a child at heart forever and to never forget what it is like to be young again. Elementary student will be a constant reminder of what it is like to have no real worries and to be fascinated by the little things in life. I look forward to learning more on one day at the job then any lawyer or businessman learns in an entire year.
Elementary students, especially the younger ones, are like little sponges. They are eager to learn and want to soak up everything that is brought to them. The world is still a neat and happy place to them and they want to know and ask questions about everything that is on it. Their curiosity provokes learning that may not have even been on the lesson plans. Days may not go as planned, however, this is fine. Sometimes elementary students learn more on these “unplanned” days than on the most well thought-out lessons.
With elementary students, I believe, there is a real chance to make a difference in the child’s life. Unfortunately, not all children are put in ideal situations. Sometimes children are put into home conditions that are not appropriate for a child’s mind and their situations that are very unstable. It is very unfair for the child and there is nothing that they can do to change their surroundings. However, they can get away for 8 hours during this day. During this time I want to be and will be the stability in their life. By teaching elementary students I will be given the opportunity to show my students love, forgiveness, compassion and other emotions that they may not have ever experienced before. This truly excites me about entering the teaching field. I will always remember that I am not just an elementary student’s teacher. One day, I could be a student’s caregiver or counselor and on another day, I might just have to be their friend. At this age, these children might need a hug, a smile or words of motivation.
Teaching elementary students brings me the perfect opportunity to be an excellent role model to these children. In these years, students look up to their teachers. They think a lot more of the teaching profession than some, or most, junior high or high school students. To some students their teacher is someone that they want to be just like. This is why I want my students to see me in positive manner at all times. I want to show my students how to be helpful not just through school activities. It is great to give back to the community for all that they do. I want to help out in the community and volunteer where it is needed. Hopefully, seeing me acting positively by helping out the community will make an impact on my students. Some may even want to come with me and do the same. I can set an example that the children may not see in any other adult figures in their life. It is at this age that students need this guidance to help start them off to a better life.

No comments:

Post a Comment