Monday, February 23, 2009

Science Inquiry Lessons: Thoughts and Feelings

I believe that science inquiry is a way to provoke thinking outside of memorization and learning facts. I feel as if I grew up with more memorizing material and not enough experimenting and observing. Making definitions and observing new and interesting science phenomenon helps children to truly learn and apply what they know in other science experiments. This type of teaching not only allows the children to learn but also promotes entire lessons that stem from one question of curiosity. I think that it is important to not only go by the book and lesson plan but to make sure that you put the children’s thoughts and curiosity somewhere in the plan first. Their ideas need to be top priority. I am excited about learning along with my children and extremely interested to see what types of questions and thoughts that children come up with through this type of science. They may come up with questions that I do not know the answer. In this type of situation the children will use their prior knowledge to work with me to find the answer. I am most comfortable with observations because I think that you can learn a lot from simply observing. I think that I will be good at taking something little, for example sharks or spiders and turn it into an entire fun unit. In order to grow and improve on science inquiry learning I, as a future educator, need to be more patient and understanding. This type of teaching allows the teacher to invest into a lot of time for the students to think. I think that this might be something that I would struggle with. I also am a very organized person and sometimes this might allow for me to change and be flexible with my science life. I would need to work on this to instill science inquiry in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment